Columbia E-Cigarettes Lawyer
As consumers, we expect that the products we buy are safe when used as intended. This is true even for e-cigarettes. While these devices are touted as being safer than cigarettes, many people have died from them due to defects such as explosions and counterfeit parts.
A defective e-cigarette can be deadly. If you use them, be aware of the dangers. If you or a loved one has been affected, seek legal help from The Stanley Group. Our Columbia e-cigarettes lawyer will assist you with getting the compensation and justice you deserve.
Types of Defects
When an e-cigarette is defective, it falls under product liability laws, which recognize three main types of defects:
- Design defects. Faulty designs can make a product dangerous, even when manufactured and used correctly.
- Manufacturing defects. These defects happen on the assembly line when the e-cigarette is being constructed. It could be a minor mistake or a recurring issue that leads to recalls.
- Marketing defects. These defects happen due to inadequate warning labels, improper labeling, or poor instructions.
The biggest safety risk of using an e-cigarette is a battery-explosion related injury. These devices use lithium-ion battery cells, most commonly a 18650 battery. While these batteries are larger and last longer than typical batteries, they are also more vulnerable to damage. They have a thin protective coating of PVC shrink wrap that can be damaged and turn the battery into a serious fire hazard.
Battery explosions can cause injuries such as:
- An e-cigarette can explode while in a person’s pocket, causing burns all over the body.
- Physical injuries. When the e-cigarette explodes, it can cause debris to fly all over. Because these devices are often kept near the face or hands, they can cause a variety of injuries, such as broken bones, lacerations, bleeding, loss of teeth, blindness, scarring, and holes in the mouth. In one case, a teen suffered a broken jaw and had several teeth blown out after an e-cigarette exploded while in his mouth.
E-cigarette users should be concerned about counterfeit products. China and other countries are selling counterfeit devices, components, liquid, and batteries to individuals, distributors, and retailers who are unaware. Counterfeit products often lack certain safeguards such as FDA requirements. They are therefore more prone to explosions and other safety risks. These e-cigarettes are made to resemble an authentic, name brand product and while they look real, they use lower quality materials and use inaccurate labeling.
Contact The Stanley Law Group Today
While e-cigarettes are often deemed as safe, they can be deadly in an instant. An explosion or other incident can cause serious injuries and even death.
Seek legal help from The Stanley Law Group if you have been affected. We can help you understand your legal options and file claims against the negligent manufacturer. Schedule a consultation with one of our Columbia e-cigarettes lawyers today by filling out the online form or calling (803) 799-4700.