Florence Wrongful Death Lawyer
Any accident can lead to broken bones, cuts, bruises, and many other types of injuries, but some incidents are so severe that the victim is killed because of serious, devastating trauma. You might be surprised to learn how frequently fatal accidents occur, but the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that they are the fourth leading cause of death nationwide. Motor vehicle collisions, slip and falls, dangerous products, medical errors, and many other incidents are behind these fatalities, so it is reassuring to know that victims have rights under South Carolina wrongful death laws.
However, the process for obtaining monetary damages is complicated if you do not have a legal background. Instead of putting your rights at risk, rely on our team at the Stanley Law Group to advocate on your behalf. Please contact us today to set up a free case evaluation with a Florence wrongful death lawyer, and read on for some basics.
Summary of South Carolina Wrongful Death Laws
There are two factors at stake in a deadly accident claim, and the first is liability. In any case involving injuries, regardless of whether or not they are fatal, you must prove the elements of negligence:
- The other person or entity had a duty to exercise reasonable care when acting;
- That party breached the duty of care through careless, unsafe acts;
- The breach of duty was the direct cause of the accident in which your loved one was killed; and,
- You suffered losses because of the fatality.
The second factor in a wrongful death case is having the legal power to pursue the at-fault party. Under state law, only the personal representative of the deceased person’s estate has standing to sue.
Steps in the Legal Process
By meeting the legal requirements for a wrongful death claim, surviving family members can recover compensation for how the victim’s passing affects their lives. Monetary damages may include amounts to cover loss of financial contributions, consortium, guidance, education, love, and many others.
However, aside from having essential proof of wrongful death, you must also go through the legal process. The Stanley Law Group will take care of all important tasks at each stage:
- We will conduct an investigation and gather evidence to prove your claim, and then use this information to support an insurance claim.
- Our Florence wrongful death lawyers will negotiate with the insurer to resolve your claim by agreement.
- We will sue in court and advocate on your behalf by preparing the complaint, attending hearings, working out discovery and depositions, and preparing a trial strategy.
Contact a Florence Wrongful Death Lawyer Right Away
Taking legal action cannot bring back a loved one who was killed because of someone else’s negligence, but compensation can provide essential financial support during difficult times. For more information, please contact the Stanley Law Group to schedule a no-cost case assessment with a Florence wrongful death lawyer. We can provide personalized advice about your rights after reviewing the details of your claim.