Florence Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Though you might rely on other forms of transportation for commuting, errands, and long-distance travel, everyone is in the position of a pedestrian at some point. When you are sharing the road with faster, larger motorized vehicles, you can imagine the devastation in a pedestrian accident. According to the South Carolina Department of Public Safety, there are more than 1,110 traffic crashes involving people on foot every year. Almost 170 people are killed in these incidents and another 230 are hurt, and the numbers for both fatalities and injured victims have spiked in recent years.
Fortunately, state laws provide pedestrian crash victims with legal remedies, so you may qualify to recover monetary damages for your losses. The Stanley Law Group will assist with enforcing your rights, so please contact us to schedule a complimentary case evaluation with a Florence pedestrian accident lawyer. You might also benefit from reviewing some basics.
Overview of South Carolina Pedestrian Accident Laws
You might not be in a motorized vehicle, but getting struck by an auto does trigger traffic crash laws. One of the most important deals with liability and what you need to prove to recover compensation. Under the concept of negligence, you must show that the at-fault motorist caused the pedestrian accident by failing to drive safely. For instance, a driver could be negligent by:
- Failure to yield right of way to a person in the crosswalk;
- Driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs;
- Unlawful lane changes or turns; and,
- Many other forms of misconduct.
What to do if You Were Hurt in a Pedestrian Collision
The chaos and confusion after an accident can be overwhelming, so some tips should help you get through the incident. Keep in mind that evidence is critical for proving the essential elements of negligence, whether you are filing a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company or in court. Our Florence pedestrian accident lawyers will take care of important legal tasks, but you can support our efforts at the Stanley Law Group by following some To-Do’s:
- Get proper medical care right away. Delays create the impression that you were not hurt badly.
- Obtain contact and insurance information from the at-fault motorist.
- Avoid discussions about fault or how you think the pedestrian accident happened.
- Grab your cell phone to capture images at the scene, including the intersection, stretch of road, traffic signage, your injuries, and damage to the motorized vehicle.
- If contacted by an insurance company, pass on our contact information. We will handle conversations with the insurer. By making statements and answering questions, you could harm your rights.
Set Up a Consultation with a Florence Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
If you can manage a few of these tasks, you can count on our team at the Stanley Law Group to handle the details and legal process. We are ready to advocate on your behalf with an insurance claim, but we are equally prepared to take your case to court. Please contact our firm today to set up a no-cost case review with a skilled South Carolina pedestrian accident lawyer.