Florence Bike Accident Lawyer
Whether you ride your bicycle for fun, exercise, or transportation, you appreciate that the risk of serious injuries is high when you are involved in a bike accident with a larger, faster, motorized vehicle. Statistics compiled by the South Carolina Department of Public Safety indicate that there are around 490 traffic collisions involving bicycles, including dozens of fatal crashes and hundreds of injury-causing bike collisions. Shockingly, more than 96 percent of these incidents cause a fatality or harm to at least one victim.
You could sustain considerable losses after being involved in a bicycle accident, so it is a comfort to know that state law protects your interests. The Stanley Law Group will guide you through the legal process, enabling you to focus on recovering. Please contact us to set up a no-cost case assessment with a Florence bike accident lawyer and read on for some background information.
How Liability Works in Bicycle Crash Claims
Collisions involving bikes are covered by many of the same laws as motor vehicle accidents, and one addresses liability. You must meet the legal requirements of a negligence claim, which means you need to prove that the at-fault motorist caused the bicycle crash by failing to exercise reasonable care while driving. Examples of negligence include:
- Not allowing right of way for bicycle riders in designated bike lanes;
- Drunk and drugged driving;
- Failure to yield to bicyclists in traffic lanes; and,
- Texting, talking on the phone, eating, drinking, and other forms of distracted driving.
Compensation for South Carolina Bike Collision Victims
If you have sufficient evidence to prove the elements of negligence, you may be able to recover such economic damages as medical costs and lost wages. You might also obtain amounts for noneconomic damages, which are the losses that affect your quality of life. Examples include pain and suffering, emotional anguish, and scarring and disfigurement.
However, there is a specific legal process that you must undertake to qualify for compensation. Our Florence bike accident lawyers at the Stanley Law Group will handle all phases, including:
- Insurance Claims: We will first file a claim with the responsible driver’s insurance company and attempt to work out a settlement.
- Mediation: Some bike crash claims will be referred to mediation, or the parties can agree to participate. During the proceeding, a mediator applies special skills and training to guide the parties in productive conversations about settlement.
- Litigation: If the insurer refuses to pay fair, reasonable compensation, we are ready to take your case to court and support you throughout the litigation process.
Call Now to Speak to a Florence Bike Accident Lawyer
It is a comfort to know that monetary damages are available for injured victims, but you can see that the legal process can be complex. You can trust the Stanley Law Group to protect your interests during settlement negotiations, but we are equally prepared to fight for your rights in court. To learn more about our services, please contact our office to schedule a free consultation with a South Carolina bike accident lawyer.